Among the passage tombs and megalithic structures that may be discovered at Bru Na Boinne, which is a holy site located in County Meath along the banks of the River Boyne, Newgrange is the most significant one. The monument is located on a small hill on a bend in the river approximately five miles inland from the ancient Norman city of Drogheda and a couple of miles upstream from the site of the Battle of the Boyne. Both of these locations are roughly the same distance from the mouth of the river.
Legends and Folklore
- Jun 28 2022Have you heard of people of Irish descent as “Black Irish.” But have you ever stopped to think about where it originates? The phrase “Black Irish” has been in use for hundreds of years, and several brands of Irish whiskey. The term “black Irish” refers to persons of Irish descent who are supposed to be descendants of the Spanish Armada.
- The Irish Wolfhound is a historic breed of sighthound dog that originates in Ireland. Due to its presence and significant size, the Irish Wolfhound has been the subject of several works of literature, poetry, and folklore. The towering statue of the Irish wolfhound is one of the breed’s most distinguishing features. The Irish Wolfhound is a type of dog that may grow to be as large as a miniature pony and is considered to be one of the tallest breeds in the world.
- Although there are a great number of gods and goddesses that are well known, Dagda, Brigid, and Queen Mebh are probably the gods and goddesses that are the most well-known in modern times. In our expert opinion the best know Celtic Gods are as follows.
- To understand the lore of emeralds, and their worth it is imperative to understand the history of emeralds and emerald traditions in modern culture today.
- May 14 2022A selkie is a legendary creature from the ocean that is described as being half human and half fish. This creature is also known as the sea people, the seal people, and the mermaid. They are seals when they are in the water, but as they go on land, they lose their skin and take the appearance of humans.
- May 14 2022What exactly are fairies? And where exactly do they originate? When you question various people, you will receive different responses each time you do so. These mysterious figures have been interpreted as anything from gods to the souls of infants who have not been baptized to an ancient race of miniature humans. They are the protectors of animals and holy natural sites, yet at one time they may have been thought of as gods. They are the spirits of nature. I've always had the impression that the answer was somewhere in the middle. Additionally, as was discussed before, this is contingent upon the culture as well.
- May 14 2022The Irish had the concept that fairies were the reincarnation souls of deceased people who had returned to earth to provide knowledge and warnings. In Wales, fairies were referred to as Tylwyth Teg. Unlike the traditional depiction of fairies, locals in Wales thought that these “ancestor” spirits stood more than 6 feet tall.
- May 14 2022The legend of the Leprechaun is one of the most famous stories in Ireland, and it refers to a magical kind of fairy that is initially tied to the Tuatha De Danann of Irish mythology. The Leprechaun is said to have been one of the first people to bring gold to Ireland.
- Oct 13 2015The image that comes to most people's minds when they hear the word "banshee" is that of a floating ghostly figure that wails and is in general quite terrifying. You might also be familiar with the age-old concept that banshees are considered to be portents of impending death. The whole account of the Banshee may be found here.