So, how do you say “I love you” in Irish? A word-for-word translation is not the most practical method of expressing your affection. Learning a few words and phrases rather than translating them is a lot simpler and more efficient method.
It may take some time to master the Irish pronunciation of the phrase “I love you.”
It’s possible to modify the sound of Irish letters by the letters adjacent to them, since many letters in the language are silent. The good news is that each sentence is followed by an explanation of how to pronounce it.
5 Common Ways to Say ‘I Love You’ in Irish
- Is tú mo grá (pronounced Is too moh graw) – This translates as ‘you are my love’ Word for word, it is ‘are you my love,’ but it is not a question. Irish puts the verb first in the sentence.
- Tá grá agam duit (pronounced taw graw agum dweet) – The exact meaning of this phrase is ‘I have love for you.’ Gra is the Irish word for love.
- Tá mo chroí istigh ionat (pronounced taw moh kree ish-tig un-at) – This very romantic phrase literally means ‘my heart is in you’.
- Is tú mo chuisle (pronounced is too moh coosh-lah) – Another anatomical phrase, this means ‘you are my pulse’. Fans of the film ‘Million Dollar Baby’ might remember the phrase ‘mo chuisle’ from the movie.
- Táim i ngrá leat (pronounced tame ee n-graw leat. Leat rhymes with eat) – This one means ‘I am in love with you.’
Most Popular Irish Sayings About Love
- Mo ghrá (moh graw) – my love
- Mo chroí (moh kree)– my heart or Is tú mo ghrá (Iss too mu graw) “You are my love” is as close as we come to saying “I love you” and is a lovely phrase that would work well as a thoughtful engraving
- Mo anam cara (moh anum cair-ah) – my soulmate. This phrase means “My Soul Mate” or “My Soul Friend.” The ancient Celts thought there was a soul that spread out over the body. When two people formed a strong bond, their souls would mix and each person could be called their “anam cara,” or “soul friend.” This beautiful phrase was the source of our Mo Anam Cara Jewelry.
- Mo fhíorghrá (moh hear-graw) – my true love
The Irish language has some wonderfully lyrical expressions for telling that particular someone how much you care about them! We have a huge selection of Anam Cara Rings, Mo Anam Cara Pendant or Mo Anam Cara Jewelry including our Gra Pendant.